Best Large Breed Puppy Food
It is your sole responsibility as a dog owner to ensure that you feed your pet on high quality and well balanced nutritious food. Our dogs rely on us to choose for them their best food. We, therefore, have to make these choices as if they were our own. A nutrient rich meal keeps your pet healthy, with sleek and shiny hair. The immune system also becomes more capable of handling infections than before.
These responsibilities to our best friend become more when you own a large breed dog. The nutritional requirements of large breed puppies differ from the small breed puppies. A large breed puppy needs special diets to avoid health complications. Small breed puppies grow faster than the large breeds.
Large breed dogs are susceptible to certain health problems mostly in bone and in joint areas. Their large frames put more stress on the hip joints than their small breeds counterparts. The most common problem is the hip dysplasia. You as a best friend should, therefore, take it upon yourself and provide the best large breed puppy food to prevent bone and joint disorders.
Things To Look For When Choosing Best Large Breed Puppy Food
Our puppies' health depends on several factors; it can be a genetically inherited problem, lack of provision of exercise and most importantly, how we feed them. We have to get right the type of food, the nutrients it contains and the right balance between the two. Finding the perfect mix of nutrients can be hard when you do not know what to look for. To be helpful to you, here are some of the things you should look for when buying food for your dog.
A large breed puppies' health depends on the nutrients available in the food you feed him. A balanced nutrient provides the basis for a steady, healthy growth. When making a purchase, look for puppy food with the highest nutrient density.
To ensure your puppy stays healthy, the food should contain these nutrients:
- Whole animal products: This should be the first ingredient you should confirm its availability. It should be labeled wholly and contain animal products such as chicken, lamb and salmon. Give preference to protein based products as the puppy needs them most.
- Healthy grains: The pup needs carbohydrates, but not the cheap kind of carbohydrates. You would not do that to your little buddy. Cheap grains are sometimes added to a dog food just to keep the prices down and not for nutritional value. They only pump up the amount of calories in the puppy's system. Look for maize, rice, oats or buckwheat.
- Fats and oils (natural): Large breed puppies need lots of energies for running up and down. Check if the kibble has sufficient amounts of natural fats and oils. These are mainly extracted from quality plants and animals. More fats mean that the puppy's hair will be shinier with strong muscles.
- Essential minerals and vitamins: when purchasing kibble for your puppy, look for one with Vitamins A, E, C and B-complex. Minerals such as calcium, phosphorous and omega six fatty acids are essential for the formation of strong bones and joints.
However, not all nutrients are safe for your lovely puppy. Some of these nutrients include by-products of meat and vegetable, cheap carbohydrate fillers, corn syrup and chemicals you cannot pronounce yourself.
Size And Age Of The Dog
Manufacturers always formulate dog food specifically for their ages. It is for this reason that puppies' food consists of mainly calories so that they grow rapidly. As they continue growing, more proteins, calcium and nutrients are fundamental for proper dog development.
At advanced ages, dogs need more of fibers and not calories. At this age, calories cause obesity in dogs. When it comes to sizes, there is a variance in the physiological needs of the dogs. Smaller dogs need more energy than bigger ones.
Dry Dog Food vs. Canned food
Feeding your puppy on dry food aids in the strengthening of teeth, which then becomes useful as you train it. You can also leave the dry food outside for your dog to eat without it going bad fast. This is not possible with wet/canned food that goes bad fast. However, wet food has a good moisture content that is needed by the dog. You can blend the two and get the best of both.
Any Special Needs?
Your puppy should not eat just anything it lays its mouth on. It may be allergic to some food ingredients or has a stomach which is sensitive to some food types. You have to look out for any of such conditions before making a purchase, so you don't end up with a sick dog rather than a satisfied one.
Is It Complete Or Will You Supplement?
Complete puppy foods provide all the nutrients your pet needs in one single meal. The need for combining several meals and foods in eliminated. However, for supplementary dog food, you have to combine a group of meals so as to get the right nutrient combinations for the dog. Mostly the complementary foods are wet foods.
The Five Best Large Breed Puppy Food
Here are some of the best large breed puppy food that you can find in the market for a healthy living:
** Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer's review on Amazon
The Holistic Natural Dry Dog Food is a specially composed natural puppy food for the large breeds. It fits into their large mouths. This puppy food is formulated with the unique Digestive Health Support System that contains digestive enzymes, fibers and probiotics.
The recipe used to make it allows vital nutrients to be absorbed and utilized by the puppy's body. This puppy meal makes the puppy look healthy inside out.An added advantage that your little puppy buddy will be getting is a high-quality product made with the strictest quality assurance standards.
- Contains all natural products
- Focused on prebiotics, natural fibers, probiotics, botanicals and digestive enzymes
- Balanced diet
- Contain premium ingredients like a real lamb
- Has DHA for brain and eye development
- Made from finest proteins and veggies
- No byproducts of meat
- No fillers used
- Does not contain wheat and wheat products
- Weighs 30 pounds
- Measures 26.5 x 16 x 5 inches.
- Made from natural products
- Does not have meat byproducts
- High quality
- Good value for money
- Some puppies do not eat it
The Hill's Science large breed dry food is formulated for big dog breeds with bigger nutrition needs than smaller dog breeds. This dry food provides the large breed puppy with just the right nutrition balance, keeping in mind the puppy's big size.
This food is manufactured with optimum amounts of calcium necessary for healthy bone growth. Artificial colors, flavors and preservatives are not included in the recipe. For stronger and healthy joints and cartilage, glucosamine and chondroitin are added to the formulation.
The puppy should be able to have a defense against pathogenetic attacks. This food is made from a blend of antioxidants and vitamins C and E, to provide a boost to the immune system.
This is a puppy food specifically formulated to transform the puppy's life from the inside, with the results being seen from the outside. This food makes your puppy pet have healthy joints and cartilage, a properly nourished skin and rapidly grow from a puppy to an adult.
This is achieved by using a precisely balanced nutrition developed by about 220 vets and scientists and high-quality ingredients. All these features are to bring you and your friend even closer than before.
- Has optimum calcium levels
- Has naturally occurring glucosamine and chondroitin
- Contains antioxidants and vitamins C & E
- Made with easy to digest ingredients
- No artificial preservatives and colors used
- Weighs 33 pounds
- Formulated from all natural products
- Made from high-quality ingredients
- It is immune boosting
- Provides proper joints development
- It is the vet's number one choice
- There is no immediate gain in weight
- Not such a great price
This dry dog food is formulated for dogs over a year old. It works to deliver 5 point benefits to your puppy. These are shiny skin and coat, strong teeth and gums and good vision, a more advanced immune system, good digestive health and adequate energy.
This food contains a chicken and Turkey recipe for a healthy dog food. This dog food is 100% grain free. It is composed of chicken, turkey, fruits and vegetables. These work in tandem to deliver an optimal puppy health.
No funny meat byproducts and artificial additives that are detrimental to your dog's health are added.
- Grain free
- Large breed formulated
- Contains high levels of premium ingredients
- No wheat
- No corn
- Free of meat by-products
- Artificial products free
- Contains antioxidants, omega fatty acids, probiotics, etc.
- Contains 80% more protein than traditional foods
- Has high-quality carbohydrates for energy boosts
- Immune boosting
- Does not contain artificial products
- High-quality ingredients
- Grain free
- Has 80% more proteins
- Some puppies have problems digesting it
- Forms mold with time
Large breed puppies require special dietary provisions for healthy growth and excitement during play. This food is manufactured for 1-24-month-old large breed puppies. To facilitate better cognitive and brain development, omega-3 DHA is added to the food recipe.
Large breed dogs require very strong bones to support their immense weight. To provide these, the food is laden with calcium for the development of strong supportive bones. The poultry flavors make the pup to look forward to her meal time. The real chicken used assists in the development of lean muscles.
A healthy dog should be able to provide self-defense against attacks by infections. The antioxidants in the formulation develop a high immune defense line against attacks.
- Formulated with omega-3 DHA to enhance cognitive development
- Number 1 ingredient is real chicken
- Antioxidants enriched
- Grain free
- Artificial preservatives free
- Weighs 30.6 pounds
- Measures 19 x 5 x 24 inches.Feeding directions are given
- Appropriate for a variety of puppy sizes till adulthood
- Great price
- Has chicken as the 1st ingredients
- Immune boosting
- Poultry flavored
- Some puppies get ill after eating it
The motto of Blue Buffalo says that if you love them like family, you will treat them like family. This food for your puppy is made from high quality, naturally occurring ingredients to provide a well-balanced diet.
Puppies love a tasty chicken, why wouldn't they? Besides being very tasty, deboned chicken provide essential amino acids that puppies need in their everyday lives. Rice, oats and barley provide a rich source of carbohydrates for energy. Carrots, garlic and sweet potatoes are added to provide additional nutrients.
- Weighs 15 pounds
- Protein rich
- Contains deboned chicken
- Contains veggies, fruits and whole grains
- No by-products
- No artificial flavors and preservatives.
- Chicken provides essential amino acids
- Rich in carbohydrates
- High quality
- Budget friendly
- Not all dogs feel enthusiastic about it
Our dogs, especially the younger puppies depend on us to make the right decisions on their behalf on the best feeding regimes. They expect us to be the bigger brother and take care of them like family, of which they always are. Your work is made harder when you have a large breed. They require different nutrients to develop the ability to support their large bodies. They also grow much slowly than the small breeds.
This review has discussed some of the best large breed puppy foods that will ensure that your little buddy is all excited and healthy. Of the five products, I would recommend the Hill's Science Diet Large Breed Dry Dog Food. This food is the number one choice for vets due to its high nutritional value. It provides proper join development and is loved by all vets around the world.
I believe this article has been helpful and now you know what features to consider when buying a large breed puppy food. In case there is anything I have left out which you feel should have been included, please let me know in the comments section below.