Best Dry Dog Food In 2017
Things You Should Know About Dry Dog Food
It is your responsibility as a dog owner to ensure that you feed your pet on high quality and well balanced nutritious food. Our dogs basically rely on us to choose for them their best food. We, therefore, have to make these choices as if they were our own. A nutrient rich meal keeps your pet healthy, sleek and with a shiny hair coat, its immune system is boosted, and an efficient digestive system results from good health.
When making a choice on which best dry dog food to buy for your pooch, the endless list of alternatives does seem to pose headaches to a majority of dog owners. In the United States, there is a body (The Association of American Feed Control Officials) established to monitor what pet food companies sell to customers.
Advantages of dry dog food
- When your dog chews the dry food, plague plus tartar build-up is reduced. This ensures healthy dog teeth
- You do not need refrigeration for dry food after you have opened the cans, unlike in wet/canned food which can go bad fast
- Kibble is always cheaper to buy that canned dog foods which have high water contents
- Pets do not make a mess when eating. Expect a cleaner environment
- Measuring out dry food is easy. You can then portion the right nutrient quantity to your pet
Disadvantages of dry food
- Dry foods do not always provide enough source of water for your dog. The dog might experience constipation when continuously fed on dry kibble
- Some of these dry kibbles have a reduced fat content and high carbohydrate percentage. This is disadvantageous to active dogs
Dry food has some disadvantages and advantages as compared to wet food. To give your pet the best, make a compromise between the two, providing the essential nutrients that the pet needs.
What to consider before buying
- Size and age of the dog
Manufacturers always formulate dog food specifically for their ages. This is why puppies' food consists of mainly calories so that they grow rapidly. As they continue growing, more proteins, calcium and nutrients are fundamental for a proper dog development.
At advanced ages, dogs need more of fibers and not calories. At this age, calories cause obesity in dogs. When it comes to sizes, there is a variance in the physiological needs of the dogs. Smaller dogs require more energy than bigger ones.
- Dry dog food vs. Canned food
Feeding your dogs on dry food aids in the strengthening their teeth, which then become useful as you train it. You can also leave the dry food outside for your dog to eat without it going bad fast. This is not possible with wet/canned food that goes bad fast. However, wet food has a good moisture content that is needed by the dog. You can blend the two and get the best of both.
- Any special needs?
Your dog should not eat just anything it lays its mouth on. It may be allergic to some food ingredients or has a stomach which is sensitive to some food types. You have to look out for any of such conditions before making a purchase, to avoid ending up with a sick dog rather than a satisfied one.
- Is it complete or will you supplement?
Complete dog foods provide all the nutrients your pet needs in one single meal. The need for combining several meals and foods in eliminated. However, for supplementary dog food, you have to combine a group of meals so as to get the right nutrient combinations for the dog. Mostly the complementary foods are wet foods.
The Essential Ingredients In Dry Dog Food
- Proteins: Meat and fish provide the most abundant sources of energy-rich proteins. Meat also contains fatty acids and iron which makes the nutrients more palatable and highly digestible. Wastes are minimized in return.
- Vitamins, fibers and minerals: These are mainly from vegetables i.e. carrots and sweet potatoes. Cereals are rich in carbohydrates which contribute to body building of pests.
- Fats and oils: These includes omega 3 and 6. They are responsible for the glossy coat that your well cared for pet spots.
- Sugars: Sugars are added to pet foods to act as energy sources. The digestion of sugars gives out energy as a by-product. Do not be surprised to find your pet jumping around after eating a sugar laded meal.
- Antioxidants: These are nutrients which offer support to good health. They also neutralize the free radicals that cause stomach upsets in dogs.
- Moisture: there is no way your dog is going to enjoy the dry food without you providing some source of moisture. This can be provided by a source of water or a canned dog food. Make sure to provide this to be a good family member to your friend.
The Top 5 Best Dry Dog Food in 2017
These are some of the best dry dog foods from around the web that I think you may be interested in the next time you are out shopping for your cute pooch.
** Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer's review on Amazon
Precision nutrition and high-quality nutrients delivered wholesomely can do amazing wonders for your dog. This dry dog food is tailored to keep your dog healthy, a healthy dog is a happy dog, so they say. Extra care that it is given to your dog is prioritized, with emphasis on the weight, dental health, dog mobility and skin or stomach sensitivity concerns. It can be used by both young puppies and large breeds (enhances mobility at the joints)
- Enhances the dog's immune system thereby increasing his/her life expectancy
- It has antioxidants
- The preservatives, colors and flavors used are not artificial
- High-quality protein is always the first ingredient to be added.
- There is a 100% guarantee of performance
- No corn is included in the food
- All dogs love it even those with handfuls of teeth
- Results in silky skin
- Aids in disposition
- A value for money is guaranteed
- The diet is available in varieties
- Natural ingredients are used in addition to various minerals, vitamins and amino acids
- Enhances the dog's immune system for longer life
- Tends to give some dogs stinky gases.
- It is not ideal for pregnant dogs or nursing mother dogs
- Some dogs just eat it because they are hungry and not for the taste or benefits
Royal Canin Size health nutrition is tailor made to meet your dog's specific size needs, be it muscle development, the size of the jaw, development of bones or the puppyhood length. This type of dry dog food can be consumed by dogs of ages between 10 months up to 8 years to maintain the perfect weight and enhance their palatability.
It is rich in carbohydrates to aid in body building of young adult dogs of ages between 10 months and 8 years, maximum of 22 pounds in weight.
- Has dog coat conditioners
- Has palatability enhancers
- Maintains the appropriate dog weight
- Contains L-Carnitine which promotes fat metabolism
- The nutrients are supplied in careful amounts to sustain the high energy demands of playful dogs
- Sodium tripolyphosphate helps in reducing plague and tartar formation
- Fatty acids and amino acids are combined to give protection to the dog's coat
- Stomach issues are all solved
- Every breed with varying ages and sizes are all catered for
- A lot of fillers are included in the food
- Some dogs do not eat it at all
- Diarrhea and loose stool has been reported in some dogs
- The packaging is not very great
The welfare of your dogs is at the core of everything Wellness CORE does it all. Just to confirm how confident they are in their products, they have established an assurance program that guarantees safe and pure products. This is a protein powerhouse containing up to 80% more meat than the traditional dog feeds. The food contains 0% grains and any animal bi-products. You are advised to give plenty of water to your dog and enough exercises after feeding it on this food.
- Balanced nutrition for your dog
- Grain free dog food
- The food is protein focused with vegetables and vitamins
- Uses all natural ingredients
- Antioxidants are used to fortify the core meals
- It is available in seven flavors
- The proteins provided are meat based
- The highest quality is assured
- Active probiotics ensures healthy digestive systems
- Immune boosting ingredients are added
- The dog is guaranteed healthy gums, and teeth
- Carbohydrates provide the daily energy needs of your dogs
- The packaging is not that great
Purina ONE has a commitment to the whole body of a healthy dog, at any time. It gives out an aroma that entices your dog to taste it. Once it has, it then falls in love with the awesome taste. The first urge to taste the food makes all the difference. Various ingredients are blended to pump lots of energy into your dog. The pet then becomes lively and cheerful. The ingredients are highly digestible resulting in very less waste in the form of poop. The end result is a dog with extremely beautiful, healthy skin.
- The number one ingredient is natural turkey
- Easy to digest nutritious ingredients ensure most of the nutrients are utilized
- Has omega-6 acids
- Has nature inspired ingredients
- Supplements are not needed
- Provides 100% complete nutrition requirements for an adult dog
- No dietary upsets
- It is cheap
- Offers the perfect compromise between quality and cost
- It is only for adult dogs
Not all dogs are thrilled with foods containing grains. Blue Freedom offers exactly what your dog needs, a meal that does not contain grains and glutens. The best natural ingredients are chosen to make the food that is always available to all the breed sizes, it is not necessary to change your dog's diets when it reaches a certain age. Animal nutritionists partner with veterinarians to blend essential nutrients that aid in preserving the dog's potency.
- It has no gluten and grains
- No bi-products from poultry
- Contains deboned chicken
- Nothing artificial is added
- Contains carrots, potatoes (sweet) and peas
- It is gentle on puppies with sensitive stomachs
- The price is great
- The vitamins and minerals dogs need are provided
- Keeps dogs healthy
- The delivery can be disastrous at times
- Some dogs refuse to eat it
- There are instances of dogs eating grass after eating this food
Our furry family members depend on us to choose for them the best foods there is to find on the market. Making the right choices by the dog's owner can mean the difference between a happy, healthy dog and a meek one that does not want to play. Dry foods have very many health benefits to our dogs. These include strong teeth, silky coat, and the best digestive system.
From the list of reviewed dry dog foods, our favorite and that which we would recommend to anyone anytime is the Hill's Science Diet Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food. This food type works wonders on malnourished pets. When you have a shaggy pet that is generally lethargic, just buys this miracle worker and you will start to see improvements instantly.
The formulation of ingredients is done by highly qualified personnel who understand dogs and their intimate needs. Groups of technicians, Ph.D. nutritionists and veterinarians work round the clock to deliver an award winning dry dog food to keep your furry family member healthy and happy.